Established in 1808
BRIEF STORY OF ELAM (ELIM) BAPTIST CHURCH
by Mary Gatliff
God's Spirit swept through
Baptist churches in North America one hundred fifty years ago to stir
Baptist people to a world-encircling mission. The Holy Spirit spoke to
the churches through two men, Luther Rice and Adoniram Judson. Less than
a score of local Baptists moved to create and constitute Elam (Elim)
Baptist Church in 1808.
Historic Elam Baptist
Church was constituted through the interest and benevolence of Reverend
Henry Hooten of the church community. Elam in turn aided in the
constitution of several other Baptist churches including the Macon First
Baptist Church in 1826.
Elam Church was associated
with the Ocmulgee Baptist Association from 1810 to 1839, when the
Ocmulgee "Minor" Association was organized for and by the
several remaining mission minded churches of the Ocmulgee. In the early
1860's when the Ocmulgee "Minor" Association was dissolved,
Elam Church petitioned for and received admission into the Central
The business of the church
went on as usual during the great civil strife of 1861-1865. It is
believed that many men, together with their families, assembled at Elam
Baptist Church prior to departing for Confederate Military Service.
During the Northern Army's trek through Georgia in 1864, the invading
forces made camp in the vicinity of the church and used the pews for
The first church sponsored
Sunday School was established in 1872 and in 1914 a Women's Missionary
Union was organized. The church witnessed an awakening in the late
1920's. It was during this period of time that the church approved the
first budget, bought a new piano and in 1928, purchased an abandoned
Jones County School building and had it moved to the church grounds. It
was converted into an educational annex. During the 1930's the BYPU
became an active church organization. In 1936 the church was wired for
electricity. The Southern Baptist Cooperative program was supported and
regular contributions were made for this purpose.
A building fund was started
in early 1950. The first church sponsored Vacation Bible School was held
in June 1955 and in 1959, the church was completely remodeled including
the installation of central heat and air conditioning.
In the 1970's several
additions were made to the building to meet the needs of a growing
church body. A baptistery and several classrooms were added, followed by
a kitchen, nursery, fellowship hall and office.
Yesteryear is gone,
tomorrow is ever before us. Let us move into the tomorrows with
confidence, unity and dedication that our image in the world shall be
clear and decisive Christian Witness. And "To God Be The
Read Extended History Version